2 Pounds parsnips, peeled, washed, diced and dried
2 Large Granny Smith apples, washed, and diced
1 Small onion, diced
1–2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ – 2 quarts chicken stock
Dash cayenne pepper
Chopped fresh parsley or marjoram
- In a large stock pot and over low to medium heat:
- Sauté parsnips in olive oil for about 5 minutes, do not brown.
- Add apples and onion, do not brown.
- Sauté until parsnips, apples, and onions are soft.
- Add half the chicken stock and cook on low for about 10–15 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Add cooled mixture to food processor and prosses adding a bit of chicken stock, until smooth.
- Return mixture to stock pot and add enough chicken stock for the consistency of soup that you like and heat on low. (The soup will continue to thicken as it heats.)
- Add nutmeg, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle parsley or marjoram atop each serving.
- This recipe serves 4–6 and may be doubled or tripled for a crowd. It freezes well.
- © Debra Borchert Author, Her Own Revolution