Carrot – Ginger Soup
1 pound baby carrots, washed and dried
1 large onion, diced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & Pepper
Grated peel of one orange
1–1 ½ quarts chicken stock
Fresh ginger, grated
Dash cayenne pepper
Chopped fresh parsley or marjoram
- Preheat oven to 425○F.
- Wash carrots and allow to dry on towel.
- Dice onion.
- Sprinkle olive oil on bottom of roasting pan, add carrots, season with salt and pepper to taste, toss to coat carrots, and stir.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stirring carrots every ten minutes. Add chopped onion, stir, roast another 10–20 minutes, or until carrots are cooked through with some blackened spots.
- When carrots are fully cooked, remove pan from oven and allow to cool.
- Add cool vegetables to food processor and process adding a bit of chicken stock, until smooth.
- Place mixture in heavy-bottomed pan, add enough stock for the consistency and texture of soup you like.
- Heat soup on low. (The soup will continue to thicken as it heats.)
- Add orange juice, grated orange rind, cayenne pepper, and grated ginger to taste.
- Sprinkle parsley or marjoram on top of each serving.
- This recipe serves 4–6 and may be doubled or tripled for a crowd. It freezes well.
- © Debra Borchert Author, Her Own Revolution