2 pounds asparagus, washed and dried
1 large shallot, diced
2–4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and white pepper
1–1 ½ quarts chicken or vegetable stock
Dash of cayenne pepper
Teaspoon of chopped fresh marjoram
Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425○F
- Break off woody stems of asparagus spears and discard them.
- Rinse spears. Chop spears into one-inch pieces and allow to dry on towel.
- Dice the shallot.
- Sprinkle olive oil on bottom of roasting pan, add asparagus and shake the pan to distribute the oil.
- Roast for 20 minutes at 425○, stirring and shaking every five to ten minutes.
- Add chopped shallot, stir, roast another 10 minutes or until cooked through with some browned spots.
- When spears are fully cooked, remove pan from oven and allow vegetables to cool.
- Add cool vegetables to food processor and process, adding a bit of stock, until smooth.
Add as much stock as you prefer for the consistency and texture of soup you like.
- Place mixture in heavy-bottomed pan, add as much stock as you like and heat on low.
(The soup will continue to thicken as it heats.)
- Add salt and a few grinds of white pepper to taste.
- Add cayenne pepper and marjoram (if using) to taste.
- Sprinkle parsley on each serving.
- This recipe serves 4–6 and may be doubled or tripled for a crowd. It freezes well.
- © Debra Borchert Author, Her Own Revolution